Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 2009 01:05:07 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Jeffrey Racine <racinej@mcmaster.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fresh install of gnome 2.24 & FreeBSD 7.1 woes (logout crashes, `failed to restart'...)...

--=-QXtU4BOkAi3uQhJNIfZO

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 12:30 -0500, Jeffrey Racine wrote:
> Hi.
>=20
> I recently posted that I was having issues on a Dell Optiplex SX280 =20
> after upgrading that had no problems with gnome 2.22 running FreeBSD =20
> 7.0. However, my upgrade to 2.24 did not go smoothly. I could not log =20
> out of a gnome session and trying `reboot' as root crashed the system.
>=20
> Prior to the upgrade system had been up for months with zero issues. =20
> But, I thought perhaps it was the fact that this system has been =20
> upgraded many times so perhaps things were getting linked to old libs. =20
> Hence, on Friday I did a fresh install of FreeBSD 7.1 from a CD and =20
> complete compile of gnome 2.4 from scratch. Yes, I have dbus_enable =20
> and hald_enable in rc.conf and gnome_enable.
>=20
> There appear to be some serious issues that others have recently =20
> noted. I don't know if it is xorg 7.4, gnome 2.24, or FreeBSD 7.1. Any =20
> suggestions as to what to try would be most welcome. Here are the =20
> symptoms, and many thanks for any suggestions.
>=20
> 1) With gnome_enable, I cannot restart or stop the computer from the =20
> gdm login screen - I get a `failed to...' message.
>=20
> 2) If I remove gnome_enable from rc.conf but leave hald_enable and =20
> gdm_enable set, then log in as a regular user, when I logout the =20
> system crashes cold
>=20
> Note - these are exactly the symptoms I was having when I upgraded the =20
> system prior to the fresh install. Any suggestions as to how to =20
> proceed to diagnose the issue would be most welcome.

Restart and shutdown require one to be active on the console.  They also
require procfs to be mounted on /proc.  If this is not done, those
functions will certainly fail.

As for the logout crash, nothing in GNOME should be crashing the system
(except maybe fusefs).  Try rebuilding fusefs-kmod (if you have it
loaded).  If that doesn't work, you'll need to get a backtrace of the
kernel panic.  This may require you to setup a serial console.

Joe

--=20

--=-QXtU4BOkAi3uQhJNIfZO

--=-QXtU4BOkAi3uQhJNIfZO--