Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 1996 21:42:12 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Multidrop RS-485/RS-422 driver now available

 After more months than I care to remember (and less feedback than I would
have liked 8( ), I'm pleased to announce that the second public release
of my 'mdsio' driver is now available.  If you have a use for a driver
for RS-422 or RS-485 networks in a FreeBSD environment, this may be just
what you're looking for.

 If you're interested, it's available as :
  ftp://genesis.atrad.adelaide.edu.au/pub/mdsio-beta1.tar.gz

 Don't be misled by the RCS Id tags in the source; the code was recently
moved under CVS' wing and the numbers were restarted.

 Note also that I'd like to get this into the -current tree if there are no
objections.  _Someone_ has to be interested 8)

 Here's the top of the README; enjoy.

---8<---snip---8<---

 MDSIO
 Multidrop RS-422/485 driver for FreeBSD and 8250-family UARTS.
 (c) 1995,1996 Michael Smith and Genesis Software
 msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
 Release beta-1

INTRODUCTION
============
 This is the second public release of the 'mdsio' driver for FreeBSD
2.2.  This driver provides an interface for user programs to
communicate on multidrop networks using the standard 9-bit protocol.
(Other modes can be supported with minor modifications).  Both 2- and
4-wire operation is supported.  In 2-wire mode, cards with automatic
transmit control (eg. the Advantech PCL-74x series) or ordinary
8250-based serial interfaces with external interface hardware can be
used.  Either DTR or RTS can be used for external drive control, in
either 'normal' (assert to transmit) or 'inverted' (assert to receive)
modes.