Date:      Sat, 13 Oct 2012 00:55:41 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@freebsd.org>
To:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
Cc:        Nikolay Denev <ndenev@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NFS server bottlenecks

<<On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 22:05:54 -0400 (EDT), Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca> said:

> I've attached the patch drc3.patch (it assumes drc2.patch has already been
> applied) that replaces the single mutex with one for each hash list
> for tcp. It also increases the size of NFSRVCACHE_HASHSIZE to 200.

I haven't tested this at all, but I think putting all of the mutexes
in an array like that is likely to cause cache-line ping-ponging.  It
may be better to use a pool mutex, or to put the mutexes adjacent in
memory to the list heads that they protect.  (But I probably won't be
able to do the performance testing on any of these for a while.  I
have a server running the "drc2" code but haven't gotten my users to
put a load on it yet.)

-GAWollman