Date:      Tue, 07 May 1996 13:05:40 -0600
From:      Gary Aitken <garya@ics.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   netstart & network interface startup scripts

In 2.1, /etc/netstart contains the following code to configure the
network interfaces:

# Set up all the network interfaces, calling startup scripts if needed
for ifn in ${network_interfaces}; do
        if [ -e /etc/start_if.${ifn} ]; then
                . /etc/start_if.${ifn} ${ifn}
        fi
        eval ifconfig_args=\$ifconfig_${ifn}
        ifconfig ${ifn} ${ifconfig_args}
        ifconfig ${ifn}
done

Why are the interface specific scripts run *before* the interfaces
are actually configured?  I would have thought they should be run
afterwards.

for example, I need to do the following at startup:

ifconfig de0 inet 206.230.42.65 netmask 255.255.255.224
ifconfig de0 inet 206.230.42.69 alias

The first can be taken care of with the normal ifconfig_de0="..."
line in sysconfig.  The second could be done by supplying
an /etc/start_if.de0 script, but in that case both lines
would need to be put there and no ifconfig_de0 line would
be in sysconfig (which makes the comments in sysconfig a
bit misleading).

Is the intent that the presence of /etc/start_if.xxx means
there should be no ifconfig_xxx line in sysconfig?
--
Gary Aitken		garya@ics.com		(business)
			garya@dreamchaser.org	(personal)