Date:      Sat, 23 May 2009 18:32:48 +0300
From:      Vlad GALU <dudu@dudu.ro>
To:        Bruce Evans <brde@optusnet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, Mircea Danila-Dumitrescu <venatir@xss.ro>
Subject:   Re: *stat()-ing symlinks with trailing slashes

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Bruce Evans <brde@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
[...]

> ENOTDIR is correct for following a symlink to non-directory (with a
> trailing slash in the pathname).

   Eh, yes, unfortunately it doesn't work like that yet :)

> Why does GET give trailing slashes for non-directories? =A0Trailing
> slashes are most useful interactively for getting symlinks followed
> and for avoiding getting file contents when you "know" that the file
> is a directory (and that the OS handles trailing slashes reasonably).
> Applications shouldn't need this hack since they can use lstat() to
> get more details, and it is still unportable.

   What Mircea had was a symlink, "script.php", pointing to
"/some/other/path/for/script.php" in his wwwroot. Then he sent a GET
request on $httphost/script.php/", to which lighttpd responded with
the full contents of script.php. Unfortunately I haven't looked at
lighty's sources yet to see how they manage the requests.

   Thanks, Bruce, for your input, sharp as always!