Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 1996 09:12:52 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD SCSI list)
Cc:        peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Subject:   Re: Drive with 1024 byte logical blocks

As Peter da Silva wrote:

> Hrm. Red Hat Linux doesn't seem to have any problem with it, but I'd
> really rather install FreeBSD on this Micropolis 1528-15 with 1k logical
> blocks. But... it boots up and goes "yuckola" when I try and use it.

Our UFS is not yet up to the task.  I've seen references to 1024-byte
sectoring inside #ifdef PC98 though i'm afraid that they've simply
special-cased this one as opposed to walking through every function
and removing the implicit assumption that all the world's a DEV_BSIZE
world.

MO drives (which are hard-sectored) also suffer from this.

> If anyone has any info on jumper settings or magic SCSI commands I can
> use (after installing FreeBSD on another disk, natch) let me know...

I'm afraid i can't offer you much more than scsiformat(8) for it...
and i'm not even sure whether you gotta adjust some mode page
parameters before to change the sector size (or whether it's even
impossible at all -- this depends on the drive's firmware).  I
remember that i've once formatted an (otherwise almost dead) Maxtor
MXT-1240S to something different than 512 bytes per block, just to
test it.

--
cheers, J"org