Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 1996 01:47:01 +0100
From:      se@freebsd.org (Stefan Esser)
To:        nsayer@quack.kfu.com (Nick Sayer)
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD PCI SCSI

On Dec 18, nsayer@quack.kfu.com (Nick Sayer) wrote:
> My new HP Omnibook has an AMD PCI SCSI chip in it, which is not
> supported. In what category does this lack of support fall?

Hmmm, what about telling us first what FreeBSD release
you are running, before making such a broad statement ? :)

> 1. Nobody is interested, you're on your own.

No!

> 2. Nobody has volunteered yet, but we hear this question a lot.

No and yes :)

> 3. Someone is working on it, but it isn't done yet.

No!

> ... or perhaps there is some other category to name?

Yes, sure. Just try the "amd" driver in -current :-)

And please tell me, whether it does anything useful for you.

This is the Tekram DC-390 driver, which was specific to their
AMD 53c974 based controller cards. I added a small patch that
I expect to allow the driver to work with generic AMD SCSI
controllers.

But you have the chance to find out and tell ...

Regards, STefan

PS: And please let me know how well it works for you ...