Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 1995 20:01:05 +0000 ()
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        FREEBSD-CURRENT-L <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ps and grep

    Although I don't have strong feelings either way, I would vote
with leaving 'ps' the way it is now.  If it starts assuming -ww when
stdout is a pipe, then it will need a complementary switch to force
short and really-short output.  Seems like a lot of work for a net
gain of zero.  I don't see any real reason why 'ps' should default to
extra-wide for a pipe.  Same goes for 'ls', actually, with the -1 and
-C switches, but changing that now would break a whole lot of scripts.

    If someone is really itching to add stuff to 'ps', how about a
switch that produced tab-delimited rather than space-delimited output?
That would make processing with cut/awk *much* simpler.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org