Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 23:38:24 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@denver.net>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: security hole in FreeBSD

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Vincent Poy wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Jonathan A. Zdziarski wrote:
>
> =)Hrm if you always use kill -9 try the reverse, just a kill or a kill -15
>
> 	I did that too.  even kill -HUP only kills the master process.  I
> had to kill the child process manually.

That's what the killall script is for :-)

Since I've finally plowed through the dozens (hundreds? ;-) of messages on
the subject...

None of my FreeBSD systems have ever installed a /root/.rhosts file to my
knowledge, unless it's been a zero length file.  I'd have to grok the
scripts, but I know for a fact that a FreeBSD install wouldn't know to
create a /root/.rhosts that had the name of your other machine in it.
Some one of your admins did that luser trick (e.g. to enable rsh/rcp).

Second, my interpretation of the init man page suggests that securelevel 1
would PREVENT me from writing to mounted disks at the time the securelevel
1 is "invoked".  So, for instance, if I used sysctl to change
kern.securelevel from 0 to 1 *right now*, my server processes (httpd,
sendmail, etc.) would suddenly blow up because they couldn't write to the
disks.  Thus, the only time one would want to invoke securelevel 1 would be
from /etc/rc before the disks are mounted.  Correct???

(The rest is dribble mostly directed to Vince, but possibly useful to
others).

Third, Vince stated something to the effect that Jordan Hubbard couldn't
hold a candle to this hacker ("wasn't in the same league") and then posted
IRC dribble.  I'd bet this hacker couldn't hold a candle to Jordan and
probably is just an luser with a copy of rootkit. (Just had to get that one
off my mind ;)

Fourth, you might as well take that machine off the net (turn it off) if
you can't get physical access to it for 2-4 months.  It's gone gone gone!
If you've been telnetting to it forever with no encryption, tcpwrappers, or
router filters, your hacker could have been on your system for weeks or
months before acting up and you wouldn't have a clue..  A few years ago when
I was a weenie (ok, I still am compared to Jordan and Nate and... ;-) I
challenged (deliberately) some of my more clueful customers to hack
me...one of them was root on my system for almost a month before I noticed
suspicious activity.  Your descriptions of comparing files between machines
(e.g. comparing byte sizes/dates of telnetd) suggest that you never ran
anything like tripwire/cops to compute checksums of the files.  Thus, you'd
have NO clue which files really might have been changed.  And if you DID
run Tripwire before the hacker, and ran it again after the hacker, but
didn't compare the result to a known clean OFFLINE copy of the tripwire
database (e.g. a paper/floppy copy)...forget it! :)

--
John-David Childs (JC612)       @denver.net/Internet-Coach/@ronan.net
System Administrator            Enterprise Internet Solutions