Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 12:14:18 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), dmaddox@conterra.com, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Loss of Functionality with newpnp

> If that was only true.  Or should I ask why didn't CAM from -3.3 get
> reverted to the old scsi code before 3.3 was released.  I have seen
> no less than 2, and perhaps 3 people try to get cards that did work
> under pre-CAM 3.x working under post-CAM 3.x.  I know this is a slippery
> slope, but it invalidates your above assertion that we revert back
> at release when functionality has been lost due to new code.

No, it doesn't invalidate it in any way shape or form.  I said that in
this specific case, and you're free to read my message as many times
as you wish but you'll not find anything saying I was speaking for
anything BUT the newpcm driver here, the new stuff would be reverted
if need be.  CAM was a rather different situation since it was one of
those painful-but-necessary trade-offs we had to accept both the pros
and the cons for.  The a.out -> ELF transition was painful too, and
I'm sure there were a few ports which broke and/or older commercial
software packages which became harder to use as a result, but you
won't hear anyone talking about going back to a.out for just that
reason.

Each situation is different and there are NO hard-and-fast rules about
when it does and does not make sense to accept the loss of certain
functionality in exchange for new functionality.  To even assume
that such a rule would be practical would be like saying that life
itself always fits into neat, well-compartmentalized little boxes. :)

- Jordan