Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 1996 19:18:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        jafo@tummy.com (Sean Reifschneider)
Cc:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD NCR driver timeout?

> >Well, most devices will not require 1.6s for a single
> >bus transaction (locking out all other devices ...).
>
> I completely agree here...  It *SHOUDN'T*, but it does.  :-)

This is what I mentioned the Microtek scanner does.  It locks up
the SCSI bus while it positions the scan head.  This is the problem
with these "PC" scanners that ship with their own SCSI controllers
- they can be completely anti-social about what they do on the bus.

Unfortunately, Stefan, I think that if possible we ought to provide
the same host adapter behavior across all adapters and use the
timeout passed in (if we can), even if it is for an ungodly amount
of time.

Keep in mind that someone might elect to dedicate an NCR controller
to talking to an anti-social scanner and will be disappointed if
they can't make it work with a timeout of, say, 10 seconds.  After
all, those NCR controllers are among the cheapest we support and
therefore a good choice for a second dedicated bus.

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936