Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 21:35:54 +0200
From:      Luke Roberts <luke@roberts.nl>
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   problems setting up i4b (for FreeBSD Router)

Hi,

I sent part of this message before and got back a reply telling me that the
Teles's irq was probably misconfigured. I have tried all possible irq io
mem configurations and still haven''t solved the problem.

I have setup i4b 0.71.00 and when the machine boots the kernel I see
the TELES 16.3 card with the correct i/o IRQ etc and not much later I see
all the devices 14b, i4pisppp, i4bctl, i4bipr, 14btel, 14brbch, i4btrc

I have made an isdn.rc file with the correct numbers to dial for our
provider and also used a pretty standard script (from the i4b manual) for
sppp for setting up the ppp connection to our provider.

I thought that after I'd got this setup I'd give NATd and the Firewall a go
and set up a router for the rest of my network.

I checked the isdntrace utility and when I pick up a phone and make a
connection over the same ISDN Line I can see this in the isdntrace utility.
This must be the evidence that the card is installed correctly.

Unfortunatly though, I can't get an outgoing connection going.
Has anybody got a clue what I did wrong? I get errors like in the ISDN4BSD
FAQ (sun feb 14 1999) question 12. I have adapted my local msn numbers.

Let's say my msn numer is (0251)545454
My Internet provider has  (023)8800806

According to Bart van leeuwen I should do the folowing:
local-phone-incoming  = 545454
remote-phone-incoming = 238800806
local-phone-dialout   = 251545454
remote-phone-dialout  = 0238800806

I did this but nothing changed.

Does anybody have a clue what's wrong? The ISDN card works.

If nescessary I will mail all config files you want.

Thanks a zillion,

Luke

Next:

Once I have the i4b setup correctly I would like to use the machine as a
gate way and have the folowing questions. I hope somebody can find a little
time to help me sort them out. Even a few hints and nudges in the right
direction would realy help ;-)

The machine's IP number is 192.168.0.100

1. Do I setup the machine's gateway pointing to itself (192.168.0.100) or
do I have to specify my provider's gateway (194.159.73.222)? What do I do
if I want to swap provider every now and then (because of connection problems?

2. In what order is IP traffic dealt with by the FreeBSD box?
(ed0 -> NATd -> Firewall -> sPPP)

3. Does anybody have any hints on setting up the ISDN router

If anybody takes the time to answer any of my questions, thanks a billion
in advance!

Luke