Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 00:03:42 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        eric <eric@dsns.csie.nctu.edu.tw>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Update port

eric (eric@dsns.csie.nctu.edu.tw) wrote:

>    I'm newbie in FreeBSD
>    Would someone tell me please how to update my port collection ?

You will need to install /usr/ports/net/cvsup

cvsup synchronizes your ports tree with the main server (or mirror). A
sample supfile is located in /usr/share/examples/cvsup.

Also, the handbook covers cvsup pretty well:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/synching.html

Finally, if you are trying to synchronize your ports from a FreeBSD 4.0
or 4.1 machine, you will need to install an upgrade kit at
www.freebsd.org/ports

It appears as if the new recommendation for pre-4.0 users is to upgrade
the OS!

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com