Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 1995 15:06:35 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel versions and config's rm -rf

In message <199509242141.OAA03933@phaeton.artisoft.com> you write:
>You are both forgetting minor issues.
>
>Like vnode_if.c and syscalls.c.

Sorry, I should have edited the text of my message when I changed the patch.
(I wrote the message and the patch at the same time, then tested the patch
and ended up addint stuff to it).  Look at the patch, what I actually made
it do was:

                sprintf(tmp, "cd %s; make clean > /dev/null ; "
                                "rm Makefile machine *.c *.h", p);

This creates a directory with one file in it -- "version".

The other solution that I was considering was reading the number out of
the "version" file before the "rm -rf" and then writing it out again
afterwards.  I'll write that instead, if it would make you more comfortable.

  Bill