Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:05:34 +0200
From:      Peter Blok <pblok@bsd4all.org>
To:        Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SOLVED: ZFS Solaris: Cannot find the pool label

Hi Alan,

Your suggestion might be related. On all 6 drives I have boot partitions =
and UEFI partitions. I assumed the order in which the drives were =
presented was the same as with the on-board controller, but that was not =
the case. It used the loader.efi from a different disk in the new =
system. There was only one UEFI partition I apparantly did not update =
and that happened to be the one that was picked in the new system.

I took the UEFI partition from the freshly installed external disk and =
copied it on all and now the system boots.

Thanks a lot,

Peter

> On 10 Jul 2023, at 15:17, Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 1:18=E2=80=AFAM Peter Blok <pblok@bsd4all.org> =
wrote:
>>=20
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> I have a small sized NAS with an on-board LSI SAS2308 controller in =
IR mode, but with drives presented directly. Due to space constraints =
I=E2=80=99m booting of those drives, which host a RAID-Z pool. A known =
problem with the on-board controller is that it is getting to hot and =
over time it dies slowly with lots of controller resets. This happened =
before, but I had a spare MB.
>>=20
>> Over the weekend this started to happen with my last spare MB. I =
still had a PCIe version of SAS2308 and plugged that with the drives =
into a newer machine, because it doesn=E2=80=99t fit in the existing =
case.
>>=20
>> The boot loader is started but it stops with Solaris: Cannot find the =
boot label for zroot
>>=20
>> When I add an extra drive on a SATA port and install FreeBSD ( same =
version 13-stable of a couple of days ago ) I can import the pool ok and =
scrub it. No errors found, but booting stil fails the same way even when =
I physically disconnect the extra drive.
>>=20
>> There are differences:
>>=20
>> - PCIe controller runs in IT mode. Reported drive size in blocks is =
identical. Firmware is 17.0. based when the on-board had 20.0 (latest) =
and ran IR in pass-thru.
>> - hardware is different
>>=20
>> Before I start upgrading firmware, I would like to investigate a bit =
more. (This is my last controller and I don=E2=80=99t want to brick it =
with newer firmware)