Date:      Mon,  7 Aug 2000 15:06:19 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>
To:        ahetepu@pacbell.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD as a multimedia system (was: Question)

> Is there multi-media software/support for DVD,MP3 players, and DSL in
> FreeBSD/Unix OS?

FreeBSD is a nice multi media system in some areas and a less one in others.
Similiar to Linux, due to is open nature FreeBSD has hard problems only
when it comes to proprietary formats.

Audio:
  file formats:
    - all important formats (.wav, .mp3, ..) work fine

  streaming formats:
    - streaming .mp3 works fine
    - streaming real audio / real audio G2 are available because FreeBSD
      is able to run the Linux binary of Real Player

Video:
    - mpeg1 and mpeg2 video work, while players seem not as robust
      as the Win32 ones
    - we can't view newer Quicktime formats, as there is no port of
      the S0rensen codec
    - Real video streaming works via the Linux Real Player

DVD:
    - It is possible to mount a DVD and read unencoded files
      from the drive.
      Decoding and viewing DVD has been demonstrated with FreeBSD but
      this has not been packaged for general consumption because of the
      legal battles raging presently.

DSL:
    - I don't know of that for sure, but I believe there a people
      using things like cable modems. Better check the mailing
      list archives for this.

Regards,
Marc