Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 18:40:44 -0700
From:      "Doug Wilson" <want_2_learn_freebsd@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Apache - 403 Forbidden

Hi list,

I feel like a total failure lately because I cannot for the life of me get
my virtual server under apache working.

I installed apache and webmin from the ports (webmin to admin apache).  I
also put MRTG on it (the main reason to put apache).  I got everything
installed right (so it seems) and MRTG is updating it's logs, but S_IT, I
consistently am unable to connect to the virtual server I have mrtg file
running from.  It's default server works great, but not the virtual server.

I thought it was the underlying file permission, but have set all the files
to 777, and any other number of schemes--don't think it is that.  I have
searched apache's site, and it talks about a malformed character in the
httpd.conf file, but I don't have that malformed.

If anyone has any quick ideas, I'd be glad to hear!  Sorry if this is lame,
but it is.

Doug.

PS: The critical thing here is, that I must get this up soon as my company
has been ok with my toying around with FreeBSD, but if I don't present
something useful--actually working--to them, their view with no doubt
change.  I know what will happen, they'll ask me to setup mrtg on win2k
(which I can do like falling off a log it is so easy). I know that I could
just put the files of mrtg into apache's default directory, but would rather
not do that if I can prevent it.