Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 22:08:01 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Translation Adaptec 1542 versus NCR810

On Nov 27,  8:50, Ollivier Robert wrote:
} It seems that Wilko Bulte said:
}
} > Quick question: is  the translation mode used  by a Adaptec 1542A (32 hd,
} > 64  sect or the other way  around (I always  forget)) the same as the one
} > used by a NCR810 ?
}
} I'm afraid not... Last time I installed a disk in a friend's machine with a
} NCR, it used something like 33hd/63sect or 63hd/33 sect :-(

The NCR bios ought to use the values the drive
has been initialised with, if it has been used
with an Adaptec before. If its a clean install,
then the default geometry choosen by the NCR is
in fact: near 1024 cylinders, upto 64 heads and
upto 32 sectors per track, depending on the
drive's capacity.

If you want to move a drive between an Adaptec
and an NCR, then be sure to initialise it on the
Adaptec, the NCR will know how to deal with it.

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160