Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 10:58:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dean Phillips <deanphillips@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD Security <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "N. J. Cash" <ncash@pei.eastlink.ca>
Subject:   Re: telnet / ipfw question

No, it does not look safe.

All of your traffic (including any passwords) can be
sniffed any time you use telnet.

Limiting the IP address helps but is vulnerable to IP
spoofing.  IP spoofing can be used to hijack your
connection or even log in.

I highly recommend ssh as a much better alternative.
Clients are available for most common operating
systems.

Regards,
Dean M. Phillips