Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 1996 17:35:45 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thread issues

Having played with threads under NT, I must say that I find its APIs both
clean and easy to use.  I wonder if we should take a step back and consider
what would be the best interface to supply for our users even if it vastly
differs from a "conventional UNIX thread" implementation.  We can always
provide POSIX APIs on top of FreeBSD's native thread APIs.

Threads and AIO are two features that the people doing embedded systems
with FreeBSD really want.  In most cases, they are interested in
performance and time to market, not portability, so designing our own
interfaces would not hinder their efforts. In fact, a cleaner, more logical
set of APIs may reduce their TTM and make FreeBSD even more viable in this
arena.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations