Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 1997 09:52:15 -0500
From:      exidor@superior.net (Christopher Masto)
To:        andrew@ugh.net.au (Andrew)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Terminal Servers? (which one)

Andrew writes:
> Hi All,
>
> Well after all the comments about Annexes what do people recommend as a
> terminal server for an ISP?. Looking for something expandable - starting
> at 30 or so ports. Presumably support SLIP/CSLIP/PPP with authentication
> on FreeBSD. Presumably they all will have ethernet of some form. How about
> handling ISDN as well as analogue modems? AAny other helpful comments?
>
> Someone told me Pormasters had a habit of spontaneous reboots. Anyone else
> heard this?

There's a bug or two in the beta software, but they've fixed it by
now.  I would highly recommend Livingston PM3s.. it may seem cheaper
to go with a bunch of analog modems, but you're setting yourself up
for problems, and will probably lose out in the long run to your
competition who did go the extra step.
--
Christopher Masto  .   .   .   .   Superior Net Support: support@superior.net
chris@masto.com  .   .   .   .   . Masto Consulting:           info@masto.com

On Talking:
 If I wasn't talking, I wounldn't know what to say.
 - Chico Resch, New York Islanders goaltender