Date:      Sun, 10 Jan 1999 20:39:48 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: porting to EB64+ / Alpine

As Doug Rabson wrote...

> > It seems you don't really need a mapping setup, the SRM seems to do that
> > for you on the EB64+ (???? here).
>
> Ideally we shouldn't need to generate the mapping for any platforms and
> SRM would program the intline of the pci config space with the right
> number.  This happens for newer systems but not for old ones.

Aha. I had initially tried to mimic the stuff from
dec_2100_a50_intr_map(void *arg) because the AS2100 also has the apecs.
Obviously a bad choice as I soon found out, because the AS2100 is very
different in this respect.

> > > I imagine that SRM had enabled a few pci interrupts for booting and this
> > > is what was interrupting.  Most of the platform code (e.g.
> > > dec_st550.c) disables all the interrupts that it doesn't know about to
> > > avoid this.
> >
> > This was the golden tip. I disabled all interrupts except for the ISA-PCI
> > bridge (is this right BTW?). Now the Alpine is happily running FreeBSD:
>
> It sounds right (for an apecs based platform) as long as you don't lose
> something important like the clock :-).

The EB64+ uses an interrupt controller in front of a IRQ mux. The output of
the intctl is fed into the IRQ mux. I disabled all the interrupts in this
intctl chip save for the ISA-PCI bridge. The RTC interrupt is directly
fed into the IRQ mux so I can't even shoot myself in the foot in this way,
the hardware does not allow it ;-)

> > There are a few things I don't understand, like why the 100Mbit DE500 card
> > does not want to work in the Alpine.

And a new 'feature':  'shutdown now' hangs the machine, not unlike the "boot
from SRM after a 'halt FreeBSD'. Hmm.

> > Anyway, I'll have it build world as a test. In the meantime I can finally
> > read the EB64+ tech manual ;-) ;-)
>
> Nice to see the beast up and running - we'll have to get the support into
> the tree.  I forget, do you have commit privs?

No, I don't. Joerg offered me commit privs quite some time ago but back then
I did not have a real use for them. I was writing some docs (handbook).
I'm not sure what is most practical in this case. If I should commit
it myself I will probably need some "do this, don't do that" advise.

But I want to iron out some of the quirks, and ask Kaleb to try it on his
true EB64+ machine.

Wilko