Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 07:58:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HP 4020i CD-R wishes

> As JULIAN Elischer wrote:
> >  It is becoming clear that we need to be able to 'stack' SCSI drivers.
> >  I have three cases of this now...
> >
> > 1/WORM/CDROM
> > 2/TAPE/CHANGER
> > and the last.. more amazingly..
> > 3/WORM/CDROM/CHANGER
> >
> > how can one identify such a situation, and which 'done' routine get's called?
>
> I think we need some layering scenario like for ioctl commands on
> ttys.  They are being passed through the general ioctl code first,
> then to the line discipline, then down to the physical driver.
> (Something like this -- i didn't code-review it now.)

We have some layering now, where you go through per-device ioctl
code first and then hit the general code if it wasn't handled.  It
would probably benefit from one more layer:

Specific device (specific WORM for example); Type device (WORM
class) General device (set debugging, etc).

In terms of stacking - how about "This is a WORM and a CDROM and
a CHANGER", and you have to potentially open three devices to
exercise all three "personalities".  Then which done to call is
clear.  We have to pay attention to locking issues.

--
Temporarily via "hdalog@zipnet.net"...

Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936
dufault@hda.com             Fax:   508 433 5267