Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:05:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Alex Markov <alex@asdg.ru>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some questions from Siberia. ;-)

Alex Markov wrote:
[Charset koi8-r unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> Hi, All!
>
> First of all, i have to make excuses for my ugly English, so
> it's quite possible that you need in some kind of "telepathy"
> to understand my questions. Sorry once more time.
>
> Also i have to notice, that reading freebsd-stable and freebsd-bugs
> and freebsd-announce and freebsd-security (you tired? me too!) takes
> up to a quarter of my work-time. :-(  I think, one more list - and
> i'll become fired! Please, CC: me, if you are going to answer.
>
> Finally, i would like to ask you shortly explain all "pro" and
> "contra" in your answer, 'cos i want to _understand_, not simply
> to know (if it's possible, of course ). Thanks in advance!
>

> 1. I heard, that "dangerously dedicated" disk are deprecated now.
> Does it mean, that dos-style partitioning is recommended even for
> FreeBSD-only disks?

It is not deprecated, however, using a normal slice (MBR partition)
has always been the preferred method.  Dangerously dedicated mode
should only be used if your system will not work with the normal dedicated
mode.  The MBR slices are part of the PC architecture, and are, in
fact, mandated for EFI (the firmware used on IA-64, and possibly on
x86 PC's in a year or so).

> 2. I want to install all frequently modifyed files (src, ports,
> httpdoc etc.) on separate slice (f.e. - /arc). Which way is more
> "correct" - change all paths in conf-n-sup files to /arc/something
> instead of /usr/something, or just make symlinks from /usr/something
> to /arc/something and leave all config files unaltered?

Well, when I have done this, I have done both.  I modified the sup
files (which is fine, all they need is a valid path), and created
symlinks so I could use the normal paths.

> 3. I can choose from Intel EtherExpress 100+, SMC 9432TX and 3Com
> Etherlink III (3C590) to install. Which one is preferable (i mean
> stability and performance) for FreeBSD?

As far as I know, all of these cards work fine.

> 4. Does it exist the "officially recommended" method for generating
> customized sendmail.cf? Now i make it "by hands" (vi freebsd.mc;
> m4 la-la-la > sendmail.cf; cp /etc/mail/), but it's seems a little
> lame to me.

Heh, that's what I do. :)

--

John Baldwin <jhb@bsdi.com> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/