Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 2015 13:41:25 +0200
From:      Ahmed Kamal <email.ahmedkamal@googlemail.com>
To:        David Gwynne <david@gwynne.id.au>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell branded storage controller for ZFS file-server | Advice requested

Thanks a lot for your reply .. I've got a couple of questions inline

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 12:21 PM, David Gwynne <david@gwynne.id.au> wrote:

> > On 23 Jan 2015, at 7:16 pm, Ahmed Kamal <email.ahmedkamal@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm looking to build a ZFS file-server, unfortunately I'm locked into
> Dell
> > branded hardware only. I know Dell sometimes ships LSI branded cards, but
> > that too probably won't work for me, as I live outside the US and the
> local
> > Dell rep is clueless (so whatever I want to buy, has to be on Dell's
> > website). I am considering Dell R720xd or R730xd. I will use Intel i350
> > NICs, and ECC RAM, but the biggest questions are around the SAS HBA
> >
> > Per my research, I have the following notes and questions. Appreciating
> > your comments on them
> >
> > * H310 Card supports syspd (jbod) mode per
> > http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=254906 so it is
> > probably the best card for what I want to do, right?
>
> no.
>
> > * H310 is a low end card, it has very limited queue depth (25 I believe)
> ..
> > Is this actually a problem when using the disks (20 x SAS 10k disks) in
> > syspd/jbod mode? what about if I attach a couple of SSD disks?
>
> there are two queue limits here, one for the controller and one for each
> disk attached to it.
>
> h310s have a controller queue depth of 31, ie, they can only support 31
> commands at a time. if you have 24 disks and distribute the controllers
> command slots between them, thats about 1 command per disk.

My initial line of thought was that in pass-through (jbod) mode, the HBA
does *not* buffer commands and proxy disk responses internally. Which meant
that in jbod mode, the HBA basically becomes a communications channel
connecting the OS to disks, making its internal buffering limitations
not-applicable. Is this not correct ?

> > * H310 can be flashed to IT mode (LSI firmware), and is supported by
> > Illumos kernel (if I'll ever need that) .. so overall it looks like a
> good
> > option. Any "watch-outs" I should be aware of ?
>
> yes. if you flash the h310 to become an sas hba, the pci product/vendor
> and subproduct/subvendor ids on the controller change. the dell bios will
> refuse to boot if it detects an unsupported controller in its storage slot.
> you'll brick the machine until you remove the h310. because it is on a non
> standard mezzanine connector you will not be able to flash it back to a
> h310, and you'll have a useless chunk of silicon to put on your desk as a
> monument to how annoying vendors are.

pff nightmare scenario .. thanks for pointing this out. I stumbled across
web posts where people successfully flashed h310, but meh, now I'm scared
to buy that configuration

> > * H710/p have no way of exposing JBOD/syspd in any way .. If using those
> > cards, the best I can do, is to create a raid-0 per disk, and put zfs on
> > top of that. How bad is this? Is the only problem that I'm locked into
> H710
> > firmware? Would the nvram and bbu on H710 improve performance
> significantly
> > vs H310?
>
> i wouldnt run zfs on that.
>
> > * H330 and H730, seem supported by mrsas driver. Is this driver able to
> > expose jbod/syspd mode? If yes, what's the overall advise, should I go
> with
> > one of those, or the "trusty" H310 ?
>
> thats a workable option. h330 should be fine if all you want to do is jbod.

Now that you're pointing me to H330 being my best option given the
situation, got some more questions:
* "if all you want is jbod" .. with zfs, that's all we need right ? just
wondering if I'm missing something important
* Any idea if jbod configuration on h330 is done on bios level, or using
some freebsd tool (how?)
* mrsas man page, mentions the driver appeared in 10.1 .. Does that mean if
I decide to use FreeNAS (9.x based) it won't be there ?
* If I go the h330 path, it'll be a r730xd server. Worst case if the h330
gives me trouble, can I throw it out and plug a LSI 9207-8i in its place
(same pci slot, cables ..etc) ?

Thanks!