Date:      25 Jan 2003 22:28:01 -0800
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org, trhodes@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/35951; disklabel(8) patch; PLEASE REVIEW

Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> writes:

> You say there may be one to four slices. disklabel works fine on
> extended slices, so there can be more than four of them. It's not
> clear that the disklabel docs should explain extended slices.

Whoops.  I had forgotten about ad0s5, etc.  I think the manpage might as
well mention them if the program (and the kernel) supports them.  I
needn't explain about booting to them with an advanced boot loader, etc.

It looks like it won't change much but mostly require an explanation of
why there can be more than four slices.  I might try to avoid mentioning
the primary/secondary slice difference and just refer to the primary
slices as the first four.  This would avoid the need to use the
contested term "extended".  (It's my strong opinion, shared by many
document writers, that in IBM-PC jargon, an extended partition is a
primary partition which contains additional "logical disks", which I
would translate to "secondary slices" for s5, s6, etc., and "extended
slice" to the "primary slice" which contains them.  If I need to
introduce terms for these concepts, I'll probably have go looking for
some IBM-PC or IDE/ATA documentation to see what they used.)

Thanks.