Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 13:40:22 +0000
From:      Ian J Greely <Ian@tirnanog.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 128 -bit encrypted version of Netscape for Europe

Is the FreeBSD version crippled then?

The standard *doze* export version of Netscape actually has full 128
bit encryption but only with certain keys. Banks in foreign (to the
US) countries can buy certificates which will turn on this 128bit
encryption for *their* transactions with the customer.

So far as I was aware only Banks could get these keys.

As I recall there was a hack for the Doze code that would turn on the
128 bit encryption for ALL communications.=20

regards,
Ian