Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:14:27 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filesystem full error with inumber

Nobody else has answered so far, so I try to give it a shot ...

Feargal Reilly <feargal@fbi.ie> wrote:
 > The following error is being logged in /var/log/messages on
 > FreeBSD 5.4:
 >
 > Jul 21 09:58:44 arwen kernel: pid 615 (postgres), uid 1001
 > inumber 6166128 on /data0: filesystem full
 >
 > However, this does not appear to be a case of being out of disk
 > space, or running out of inodes:

The "filesystem full" error can happen in three cases:
1.  The file system is running out of data space.
2.  The file system is running out of inodes.
3.  The file system is running out of non-fragmented blocks.

The third case can only happen on extremely fragmented
file systems which happens very rarely, but maybe it's
a possible cause of your problem.

 > kern.maxfiles: 20000
 > kern.openfiles: 3582

Those have nothing to do with "filesystem full".

 > Looking again at dumpfs, it appears to say that this is formatted
 > with a block size of 8K, and a fragment size of 2K, but
 > tuning(7) says:  [...]
 > Reading this makes me think that when this server was installed,
 > the block size was dropped from the 16K default to 8K for
 > performance reasons, but the fragment size was not modified
 > accordingly.
 >
 > Would this be the root of my problem?

I think a bsize/fsize ratio of 4/1 _should_ work, but it's
not widely used, so there might be bugs hidden somewhere.

 > If so, is my only option
 > to back everything up and newfs the disk, or is there something
 > else I can do that will minimise my downtime?

If you need to change bsize and/or fsize, then you will
have to backup and newfs, I'm afraid.

Best regards
   Oliver

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,
because that would also stop you from doing clever things."
        -- Doug Gwyn