Date:      Sun, 6 Aug 2000 12:18:29 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        "Mark A. Hummel" <mhumm@ispchannel.com>
Cc:        David Fuchs <dfuchs@uniserve.com>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /etc/issue, gettytab, and ttys

On Sun, Aug 06, 2000 at 05:34:29AM -0500, Mark A. Hummel wrote:
> David,
>
> I'm a newbie so brace yourself. I may be way off base here, but I
> recently installed a splash screen on my BSD system. I realize it's
> not a critical system feature, but why couldn't you use it to
> "splash" your pre-login messages to the screen? Don't ask me how
> (but it shouldn't be that tough), it was just a thought.

Do you mean "you" personally, or "you" as in FreeBSD? All you would
need to do is create a graphic, using GIMP or similar and save it as a
.BMP file.

It wouldn't be a good idea for FreeBSD to use this as the default
method (the messages you see, BTW, are in /etc/motd (Message Of The
Day)) for several reasons:

      1) The splash screen feature doesn't work with all graphics
	 cards.

      2) Not everyone wants it.

      3) It hides important boot messages (especially if you are
	 having boot problems) and can't be dismissed (by hitting ESC)
	 until you are part way through the boot (when it reads
	 /etc/rc.conf, IIRC). Maybe if it was changed so that it could
	 be suppressed "on the fly" by holding down a key, e.g. SHIFT,
	 at the start of boot....

      4) It has disappeared by the time the login: prompt appears,
	 which is when you would most likely need the info it
	 contained.

      5) Some people would think we were copying Windows ;)

> Mark
>
> David Fuchs wrote:
>
> > I've recently compiled and installed the sources for 4.1-Stable.  I used to
> > run 4.0-Stable.  The upgrade went fine and I had no trouble rebuilding /etc,
> > /var, and /usr, but I've noticed some odd things happening.
> >
> > I'd like to have a login message (/etc/issue in Linux) appear *before* the
> > login prompt, but the only way I've been able to do this is with the "im"
> > and "if" options in /etc/gettytab.  The problem is that editing the gettytab
> > file used to work (when I was running 4.0), but now it doesn't function the
> > same and my users don't see a message before they log in.  I would very much
> > like to have a login message on pseudo-terminals when someone logs in
> > remotely.  Not that it doesn't work at all, it still works for console and
> > serial connections, but not remote connections (anymore).
> >
> > Second, before I did a CVSup to 4.1 and rebuilt the world, I was only able
> > to log in at 9600 baud over a serial connection, but since the update, I
> > can't connect at 9600 anymore.  Amazingly, I can now only connect at 115200
> > which was previously impossible.  I'm not complaining about this one, but I
> > haven't been able to find any information on the -current mailing list or
> > anywhere else regarding this... have there been some changes?  Why can I not
> > connect at 9600 anymore?  All I receive when I create a 9600 baud connection
> > are funny characters and symbols.
> >
> > Any help with either of these problems would be greatly appreciated!
> >
> > -David Fuchs

  If I buy a copy of WinDelete, and it doesn't delete Windows,
  am I entitled to my money back?