Date:      11 Jan 2002 11:47:24 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        elitetek@tekrealm.net
Cc:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>, fabrizio.fresco@netsiel.it, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: routing with PPPoE/DSL on a dual homed gateway

Andrew Stuart <elitetek@tekrealm.net> writes:

> pppoe is not a regular ethernet connection, it is a special protocol.

More to the point, the NIC-to-modem connection, while still a regular
Ethernet connection, using regular Ethernet protocol, links your PPPoE
software (via tun0 and NIC) to your ISP's PPPoE software to carry
the TCP/IP protocol which normally rides directly within the Ethernet
protocol.  There's no IP address to be configured for the NIC-to-modem
connection, because neither knows about Internet Protocol in this use.

I suspect that "your ISP's PPPoE software" is in both your modem and
at their facilities, but I suppose they could use some other protocol
(like PPPoATM or a custom thing) between the modem and their systems.
Or, I suppose they could have the modem-to-ISP thing set up as an
Ethernet bridge so there seems to be an Ethernet cable between your
NIC and your ISP's NIC and have all their PPPoE stuff at their place.

(I don't know if PPPoE actually encapsulates TCP/IP data within PPPoE
data or just setups the connection and then gets out of the way and uses
pure TCP/IP until the connection is stopped via a time-out mechanism
after any part of the PPPoE system is stopped.)

That's my guessing, anyway; I'm also no expert (as if it's not obvious).