Date:      Sat, 20 Aug 2011 11:42:27 +0100
From:      Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
To:        perryh@pluto.rain.com
Cc:        mandree@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysutils/diskcheckd needs fixing and a maintainer
References:  <CADLo83-kEaQyFOiR45WmYdOru8vqu-MhAgb9p=OhjOo-TVUwfQ@mail.gmail.com> <201108171436.p7HEaNYQ071778@fire.js.berklix.net> <20110817161554.GA2496@lonesome.com> <4e4cc750.GqJImeHzdv6k8zld%perryh@pluto.rain.com> <CADLo83-MXGLOQexp9woAeSmKvC8rBobM49pidTBC7-eXTwoCZA@mail.gmail.com> <4E4CBBEE.4040302@FreeBSD.org> <CADLo83-fu_B1S0Lcnypdhy%2BSe-stdmyBFVwHEinmyenBsLOfHQ@mail.gmail.com> <4e4f3c65.SWjpvhhzZjBepdJu%perryh@pluto.rain.com>

On 20 August 2011 05:47,  <perryh@pluto.rain.com> wrote:
>=A0I've been running it for a little less than
> two days now, on a drive which contains a gmirror, and have yet
> to see it misbehave. =A0(The HDD indicator does stay on, but this is
> not surprising given that, as noted above, diskcheckd is expected
> to run continuously.)

Thank you very much for taking the time to investigate.

>> > Do we need a "think twice before adding a port" habit?
>>
>> Yes. Of course, these aren't pointless ports however; while
>> still developed and maintained they were once useful.
>
> IIUC, diskcheckd started out in base and was later moved to ports
> (for reasons that are not obvious). =A0I can't see that it is any
> less useful now than when first developed, or when moved from base
> to ports.
>
>> It's time to go when they break and bitrot.
>
> For some definition of "break and bitrot." =A0Again, I haven't
> seen any actual breakage. =A0diskcheckd could use a little tweaking,
> e.g. diskcheckd.conf.sample contains a stale reference to "the
> diskcheckd.conf(5) manual page" which was presumably missed when
> diskcheckd was moved to ports; it should now be "the diskcheckd(8)
> manual page".
>
> BTW how does one go about fixing a FreeBSD-native port like this?
> Since we are the upstream, it would make more sense to revise the
> distfile than to add a patch in the port. =A0I didn't find any mention
> of this in the Porter's Handbook.

This is an unusual case where the sources are kept in the files/
subdir of the port's directory-- nowadays we'd put it in a separate
distfile. However, for this case please feel free to submit a diff to
the sources there and they can stay as long as the port remains
useful.

If you can't reproduce the problem I'll ask the submitter of
ports/143566 if he still can.

Is it logging to syslog?

Also, would you be happy to take maintainership of this port?

Chris

--=20
Chris Rees =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0| FreeBSD Developer
crees@FreeBSD.org =A0 | http://people.freebsd.org/~crees