Date:      Mon, 07 Apr 1997 19:53:49 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unofficial secondary nameserver?

Dan Busarow replied:

> You will have to set this server up as primary in order for it to read
> changes you make to your local zone files.  This means that you will have
> to track the contents of the official zone files manually since those
> two nameservers won't ever talk to each other.
>
> Here's a better way.
>
> If the only reason that hosts are missing from the official zone
> files is that your admin is lazy^H^H^H^H thinks it isn't important,
> you may be able to get her to delegate a subdomain to you.

Think you hit the nail on the head. And what I most hope to accomplish is
to demonstrate how badly this service is needed. You've got me to thining I
should rename my machine to "snowball" as getting a subdomain from these
guys has about the same chances as a snowball in a-very-hot-place.

> That way everyone could see you and you would be kept up to date on official
> changes automatically.  The only downside to this would be that instead
> of addressing a machine like
>
> 	ping joespc
>
> people would have to use
>
> 	ping joespc.mysubdomain
>
> > I've read it cover to cover. Its put me to sleep many nights. I admit to
> > not completely understanding what I read. Thats why I asked. Sorry to have
> > bothered you.
>
> Sorry for my tone.  Late night.

No problem, I type in my sleep sometimes too. Read it the next day and
groan, bad spelling, bad grammar, inchoerent.  :-)

> Zones are normally delegated based on departments, geography, network
> layout etc..  But there is no technical reason why you can't delegate
> a zone just for convenience.  Look at chapter 9 (Parenting) in
> DNS and BIND and build a case for delegation to present to the admin.

For it to acomplish my goals it has to be transparent. And you've correllated what I've read (and not fully understood) with my suspicion that one is either primary running from one's own database or secondary with a cache from elsewhere and no local edits. No big deal if I have to use cron to update my local database every night. Time to study chapter 9 again.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net