Date:      Tue, 05 Nov 1996 01:08:02 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        dg@root.com, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, smp@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ed0 timeouts

Hi,

>>However system IO seemed to get hosed when I entered ddb to check
>>the values of a few checkpoints I keep for debug.
>>I went in/out of ddb several times (I think) but then going out the system
>>"semi-hung":  I could not get back to my virtual term, nor could I loggin
>>anywhere else.  I could ping the system so at least part of it lived...
>>
>>Have you ever seen similar problems with this code on your system?
>
>ISTR remember that the non-masking of interrupts in ddb became critical
>when I implemented lazy masking.  It was at least difficult to debug.

I just had the same hang without entering ddb.  I was running emacs
via an X session on another system, with light load on the system.
Looked like it might be something unique to the SMP kernel, appeared
to be stuck in get_mplock().  Hopefully next time it happens I will be
able to spend some time in the debugger to find more clues...
In general it appears to be working well, I was up for 3-4 hours b4 this
occured without a single lost INT (that I noticed, anyways!)

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD