Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 04:06:32 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, don@partsnow.com, tristan@mpegtv.com
Subject:   Re: RTP tools (was: Re: Remote and Voice control)

The full screen playback is a low level X thingie and either we will
have to implement it or ask the XFree86 team to do it .
On one of my contracts I did hardware assist fax decompression so
I sort of have an idea on how to do full screen playback.
At the low level it requires storing the image in yuv format in the off
display region then doing yuv to color expansion to the display region
and I believe vga controllers are also capable of doing dma yuv to color
display directly to the display region -- the latter one I am not too
sure however I have the specs for my S3 968 laying around so I can
check on this later on.

BTW: if we implement yuv to color expansion vic can also benefit or
for that matter h.261 and h.263 playback.

Now if a mechanism for doing yuv to color is created , getting Tristan
to use it is a different matter 8)

	Enjoy,
	Amancio