Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 14:56:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: preemption across processors

> The prototype patch is at:
>
> http://people.FreeBSD.org/~tanimura/patches/ippreempt.diff.gz
>
> And the p4 depot
>
> //depot/user/tanimura/ippreempt/...
>
> The patch is for only i386 at the moment.
>
> The following is the brief description of the patch:

I would prefer that this was hung off the preemption stuff I've already done
rather than reinventing it.  I would also prefer that we get a preemptive
kernel w/o this done stable before adding extra complication.

> Miscellaneous stuff:
>
> If a thread spins for an adaptive mutex, propagate its priority to the
> owner thread of the mutex.  This prevents preemption of the owner
> thread by a thread with the priority in between the owner thread and
> the spinning thread.

Ewww, I'd rather avoid this if possible.  This is just an optimization,
but it would depend on how complicated this makes the mutex code to see
if it's worth it or not.