Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 13:55:25 -0700
From:      "John Howie" <JHowie@msn.com>
To:        "Nate Williams" <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.org>, <chat@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ftpd bug in FreeBSD through at least 3.4

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nate Williams" <nate@yogotech.com>
To: "John Howie" <JHowie@msn.com>
Cc: "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>; "Brett Glass"
<brett@lariat.org>; <chat@FreeBSD.org>
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2000 1:00 PM

> However, back to the issue at hand.  Microsoft doesn't support old OS's
> like Win95 and NT3.5/4.0.  Heck, support for Win98 just ended with the
> release of WinME.

NT 4 and Windows 98 are still supported, Windows 95 was recently retired,
but limited on-line support is still available.

> There are *lots* of critical bugs in Win95, NT3.5, and NT 4.0 that exist
> today.  Microsoft's response to the bugfixes is 'We don't support older
> versions of the OS.  You must upgrade to a supported OS (WinME, Win2K),
> in order to get up to date support.)

Microsoft adopts a policy of supporting a product based on the percentage of
users using it. They guarantee at least two revisions old will be supported.
However, I believe there is a cut-off based on elapsed time to upgrade but I
can't comment on that as I don't know the specifics. Like any organization
they push users to upgrade (to get their dollars) but have the smarts to
know that they need to support an existing customer base.

john...