Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 1997 12:37:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems making expect

I've been going 'round and 'round trying to make the 'expect' port for
several days without much success. There are two problems:

1. The MD5 in the port is incorrect. I've tried expect-5.21 from the 2.1.5
CD-ROM, ftp.freebsd.org and the home site, all of which are identical,
none of which match the MD5 checksum in the port. The only way I've been
able to do anything is to delete the MD5 file.

2. Expect wants information about Tcl that isn't set by default. Problem
#1 is that it believes the file tclConfig.sh is in /usr/libdata/tcl when
in fact the Tcl75 port installs it in /usr/local/lib. I created the
/usr/libdata/tcl directory and moved the shell script there and now make
is saying:

----
>> No MD5 checksum file.
===>  Configuring for expect-5.21
configuring Expect 5.21.7
[...]
checking shell to use within Make...
checking for Tcl configuration... found /usr/libdata/tcl/tclConfig.sh
[ note that Tcl7.5 puts this file in /usr/local/lib instead ]
[...]
checking for Tcl private headers.... *** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

----
Reading the various README's I can gather that expect is expecting the
tclConfig.sh to give it a directory containing 'complete' headers, but I
don't know where that is nor how to correct the problem.

Can anybody please point me in the right direction here... while I still
have *some* remaining hair on my head?  <G>

TIA...

-Dave