Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 08:29:13 -0700
From:      "Dave Rossow" <dave@dreksys.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   illegal paths

I'm encountering a situation that I'm sure many others must have run into as
well, yet I haven't found any discussion on the topic anywhere.  The problem
is with users using MS Windows long filenames on a FreeBSD system, in
particular, using spaces in the filename.  FTP allows them to create illegal
folder and file names when they upload.  They show up in the daily security
checks, as in the example below:

checking setuid files and devices:
find: /usr/local/www/clients/pkg/3Com/DSG PR 89-0848-000 Shipment
Preparation.doc: illegal path
find: /usr/home/robert/public/Amber's School Stuff/wadr98e.pdf: illegal path

The files seem to be perfectly accessible, so are they really illegal?  or
is the daily check in need of an update to be able to recognize these as
legitimate file paths?

This doesn't seem to be causing any problems, it is just a minor annoyance.
It is futile to try to get users to abide by Unix naming conventions.

Regards,

Dave