Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 2004 19:07:10 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad@stop.mail-abuse.org>
Cc:        sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: U1E and U2 are supported system?

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 01:34:52AM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 11:55 PM -0400 2004-08-28, Ken Smith wrote:
>
> > Despite what the page had said before I think "U1E" is actually a
> > common name for one of two different versions of the Ultra-1 machines.
>
> 	I've been looking at the hardware specs for the U2 at
> <http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/U2/spec.html>, and
> comparing the pages at
> <http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/Ultra_1/Ultra_1.html>;
> and
> <http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/Ultra_1E/Ultra_1E.html>.
> I didn't find a page for the U2E, however.
>
> 	However, looking at these pages, it's not obvious to me what the
> precise hardware differences are between the different sub-models.

For all practical purposes (or at least FreeBSD's purposes), U2 and U1E
are identical from a SCSI and NIC stand point.  Think of them as a
difference between Pentium and 2P Pentum-III. :-)  The U2's CPU's are
cartridges and a U2 is a 2P machine.  The U1E's CPU's are directly
attached to the mobo (and is "standard" modern looking CPU).  A U1E has
the same CPU as the same speed U1.

> 	The Lance Ethernet chip should be easy enough to support.  If we
> don't have it, I'm sure NetBSD and OpenBSD do -- how hard would it be
> to port them?

Its all a issue of someone doing the work -- it isn't rocket science.
Besides 'lnc(4)' we also had a 2nd Lance Ethernet driver in the tree --
you can find it here src/sys/alpha/tc/Attic/if_le*.  Since this one was
ported from NetBSD, another approach would be to resurrect it and grab the
PCI attachment code from NetBSD.

> 	I'm more concerned about the SCSI controller, however.  Does
> anyone have any ideas which specific controllers are included with
> which machines, and how they are different?

Scottl has looked extensively into this.  I also gave him a U1 to play
with supporting the SCSI if he gets spare moments.

> 	Speaking only for myself, I'd like to do what I can to try to
> help FreeBSD/SPARC64 support all the UltraSPARC machines, including
> all variants of U1, U2, etc....

There is still so much polishing to do (especially in ports) for U2 and
U1E machines that there is plenty you can contribute to and still not
worry 1 bit about the U1.

If ports isn't your cup of tea; there is still work to just support all
the devices on U2 and U1E.  That's not even including the whole syscon
issue so people could use the framebuffer on U2/U1E.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)