Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 1995 12:07:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.Org (FreeBSD current)
Subject:   Re: Crypto code - an architectural proposal.

[CC: set to -current, we are all on there or had better be!!!]

> > > What I would like to do is remove the DES library (libdes.*) from
> > > eBones/des and put it in secure/lib/libdes, where I believe it belongs.
> >
> > You don't state your reasons for believing this is where it belongs :-(.
>
> <gulp> Right. The DES library is of use to more than just eBones. I have
> a des(1) that is a Sun-compatible DES-encrypter as well as an encrypting
> telnet that uses this.

Do you know about the BSD supplied bdes(1) command.  I see no need to
duplicate that functionality with a des(1).

Libdes was originaly part of Kerberos on the 4.4 tape and that is why
it probably ended up in eBones where it did.  I can see that libdes can
be used by much more than eBones, so it would be okay with me to bring
in this new libdes into src/secure and place the old one in the Attic.

> > And I know have another big problem with the code in there.. it is
> > GPL'ed and not in the gnu subdirectory :-(.  [Read copyright on fcrypt.c,
> > went and read eBones/docs.original/README :-(.
>
> WHOAH! The Eric Young code I have is specifically _not_ GPL'ed. He has
> a very permissive licence that only really prohibits relicensing. This
> includes fcrypt.c. I'll tack a copy of his license to the end of this.
> (Also in the README you mention, the GPL is optional. The `artistic'
> license is the other option and that is pretty cool.)

I am not sure of the legal stance of saying ``This program is free software;
you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of either:'' and
then having one of them be the GPL which says:

These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole.  If
identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Program,
and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in
themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those
sections when you distribute them as separate works.  But when you
distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a work based
on the Program, the distribution of the whole must be on the terms of
this License, whose permissions for other licensees extend to the
entire whole, and thus to each and every part regardless of who wrote it.

I would have to consult an attorney on that...

Now if Eric Young has provided a copy of this without mention of the GPL
any place in it GREAT!!!  And thank him for stomping out one copy of the
GPV.

> > Also does this code come with eBones?  Should this could be maintained
> > on a vendor branch?
>
> No. It was built to be US-DES compliant, but I got it as a separate
> library including other bits and pieces (some of which may get you guys in
> trouble like RSA) of crypto code. Geoff Rehmet put it into eBones as at
> that time that was the only code which used it.

Please be very carefull on pulling bits and pieces from packages, legalize
can come back to haunt us.

> A vendor branch _may_ be a good idea, but I had to do some slash-and-burn
> to make it look like BSD code. (Only to the directory structure, I have
> not touched a single *.[ch] file). I am not 100% sure of the issues here,
> so I will follow your guidance.

A)  Is Eric Young maintaining this code and
B)  Do you think he will ever release a newer version of it.

If either A or B is true we should probably do it on a vendor branch.

> > > Included in the new DES code that I have (and in the old BTW) is
> > > fcrypt.c, which is a faster (2-3 times) replacement for the DES-based
> > > crypt(3) we are currently using. I would like to include this fcrypt.c
> > > in libdes to reduce the number of libraries produced.
> >
> > That would make libdes GPL'ed.  Sorry, I can't go for that...
>
> Nope. See above. This is Eric Young code.

I see your copyright below, that looks like the README I just looked at
with the first 10 or so lines trimmed off of it.  As I state above unless
the GPL has been removed from all parts of him distribution IMHO, but not
legally expert opinion, it is still GPL'ed code.

> > > Secure telnet and other bits of code will benefit from this move/merge.
> >
> > Makeing telnet and other bits of code GPL'ed :-(.
> >
> > > What say you?
> >
> > Stop the GPV (Gnu Public Virus or something like that) :-(
>
> :-)
> Here is Eric's copyright - which applies to all code I want to import:

See above...

Also a note you might send to Eric, saying ``see file blah blah'' for a
copyright is not a very good idea.  That is why UCB put the copyright
in every single file.