Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 1996 14:34:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        james@nexis.net (James FitzGibbon)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: port of Majordomo v1.93

> I've made a port of Majordomo v1.93, the mailing list manager software.
> It's on ftp.freebsd.org as /pub/freebsd/incoming/majordomo.tar.gz.
>
> I'd appreciate any feedback anyone has on this.  The new alpha of
> majordomo (v1.94) has a nice installation -- the release does not.
> Hopefully, this will take a few of the rough edges off for people who were
> having problems.

Sorry I didn't take the time to *uninstall* my majordomo setup and try
this one (too much of a hassle making sure all the perms, lists, etc.
were correct to risk losing something!  :>)

Couple of nits...

Remove Doc/man/* from themajordomo directory (since you've already got
the man pages installed properly)

I rooted /etc/majordomo.cf in /usr/local -- I guess this is a matter
of personal preference.  Your way requires fewer diffs...  ;-)

Why did you opt for UID/GID of 67 (vs. the 54 suggested)... just curious.

The approve, request-answer, bounce-remind, new-list and digest scripts
have references to /usr/lib/sendmail which I didn't see corrected in the
diffs (forgive me if I overlooked them...)

I can't recall if you "touched" the Log file?  I think MD complains
if it doesn't exist (or perhaps that's my memory of an earlier version).
I have mine in /var/log/Majordomo with a symlink from the majordomo
directory (again, personal preference)

I have all of the directories, etc. referenced in majordomo.cf
keyed to $homedir.  There is a subtle difference here but I
don't know what *your* intended setup is like...

As a "test list", I created "List_Operators" (and "List_Operators-Digest")
for distribution to *-Operators of local lists (closed membership, etc.).
Along with this, I set up archive, digest and repository directories
tied into ~ftp with hooks for ftpmail to (optionally) do the gets.
This, of course, is *highly* subject to your whims (and would depend
on ftp being set up).  But, it gave me a convenient place to store
all the Doc/* files (i.e. in the List_Operators repository!)

Sorry but I don't have the stomach to sort through your aliases (once
was enough for me!  :>)  But, I did notice you may want to use the
@FILENAME form for arguments just to add a tad more "security"...

Thanks for taking the time to do all this!

--don