Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 1995 11:42:46 +0000 ()
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ifconfig alias and a 3C509 Combo b

How do,

I'm trying to use ``ifconfig'' to add a second IP address to one of my
interfaces.

ep0 is a 3C509 Combo (revision b) board, that normally has the IP
address x.y.z.50 assigned to it. It's temporarily taking over the duties
of a mailhost, so I'm aliasing the mailhosts IP address (x.y.z.10) to
it.

    # ifconfig ep0 inet x.y.z.10 alias

Seems to do this. But it spits out the error

    ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists

The alias seems to work, as Macs around the network can still pick up
their mail at the .10 address. But I'm a little concerned about the
error.

--+=[ Nik Clayton            System Administration, Blueberry Design Ltd, ]=+--
--+=[ nik@blueberry.co.uk               1/9 Chelsea Harbour Design Centre ]=+--
--+=[ root@blueberry.co.uk           London, SW10 0XE. Tel: 0171 351 3313 ]=+--
"It's two o'clock in the morning. . . do you know where your stack pointer is?"