Date:      Thu, 26 Jan 2012 21:18:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Mark Blackman <mark@exonetric.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity,	and lifecycle

Mark Blackman wrote:
> On 26 Jan 2012, at 14:37, John Baldwin wrote:

> >> Put your hand up and volunteer to run the 7.5-RELEASE release
> >> cycle.
> >
> > That's not actually true or really fair. There has to be some buy-in
> > from the
> > project to do an official release; it is not something that a single
> > person
> > can do off in a corner and then have the Project bless the bits as
> > an official
> > release.
>
> And raises the interesting question for an outsider of
>
> a) who is "the project" in this case
> and
> b) what does it take for a release to be a release?
>
> Wasn't there a freebsd-releng (or similar) mailing list ages ago?

I am going to avoid the above question, since I don't know the answer
and I believe other(s) have already answered it.

However, I will throw out the following comment:
I can't seem to find the post, but someone suggested a release
mechanism where stable/N would simply be branched when it appeared
to be in good shape. Although I have no idea if this is practical for
all releases, it seems that it might be a "low overhead" approach for
releases off old stable branches like stable/7 currently is?
(ie. Since there aren't a lot of commits happening to stable/7, just
 branch it. You could maybe give a one/two week warning email about when
 this will happen. I don't think it would cause a "flurry of commits"
 like happens when code slush/freeze approaches for a new .0 one.)

Just a thought, rick