Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 18:40:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/12892: ports/graphics/gd break ports

The following reply was made to PR ports/12892; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>
To: dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 20:36:24 -0400 (EDT)

 On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org wrote:

 > 	install gd-1-6.2
 > 	and try to build any ports using gd

 Though I am the one who updated this, it seems to be broken.

 I'll try and get this to work (I have to install mrtg here
 sometime, and it needs it, though I doubt mrtg will work
 now that gd doesn't do GIF.)

 > 	gd-1.6 has a complete new interface,
 > 	the fuctions for Gif-Files are no longer there.

 That's true.

 > 	keep gd-1.3 for all programms

 Can't. Licensing issues.

 > 	let gd-1.6 use diffrent names,
 > 	treat them as a very diffrent lib eg. (libgd16.a).
 > 	porgrams may use the one they need.

 Patches accepted.

 GD is depended on by a lot of ports for GIF processing, however
 it is not the project's responsibility to fix other software to
 use the new GD. These other ports are going to have to choose
 their own new direction.

 --
 - bill fumerola - billf@chc-chimes.com - BF1560 - computer horizons corp -
 - ph:(800) 252-2421 - bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - billf@FreeBSD.org  -