Date:      Sun, 13 May 2001 18:47:03 +0800
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru>
To:        Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fat32 slower than dogshit?

Lamont Granquist wrote:

> Well, i think it is, i'm actually not too sure exactly how fast dogshit is
> in the first place.  But in doing a simple untar on a fat32 partition
> using both 4-stable a couple days after release and a recently updated
> 4-stable as of yesterday (5/10) it goes about 20-30 times slower than an
> untar on a UFS partition.  Now i know fat32 is supposed to be slower than
> UFS, but this seems a little bit rediculous.  Does this sound like a known
> problem?  If someone wants more information I can probably dig down and
> get it if I know what you want...

I'he noticed this too. When I do copy a file from ffs to fat32,
I have speed about of 40Kbps and while copying system is basically frosen.
Prosesses do respond to signals, top is running and shows that system is
pretty idle,
but really all processes doing disk i/o are frosen. F.e., logging from
console/ssh
takes ages. Doing 'ls' from existing session takes ages. System is 4.3-RC.
When is was 4.2-RELEASE, it ran quite fine.

Eugene Grosbein