Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:00:27 +0200
From:      Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, RYAN vAN GINNEKEN <king@computerking.ca>
Subject:   Re: aclocal broken

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 12:49:35AM -0600, RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:
>> ----- Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>>> I have no such port on my system, and the FreeBSD web site agrees:
>>>
>>> # cd /usr/ports/multimedia/zoneminder
>>> /usr/ports/multimedia/zoneminder: No such file or directory.
>>> # grep -i zoneminder /usr/ports/INDEX-7
>>> #
>>>
>> You are correct this is not a native FreeBSD port i downloaded this port from here http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11965&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
>
> Which means you should ask the author of the port on that forum to
> fix this problem.  :-)

And the author will confirm that several people have tried to port some of
the parts to FreeBSD. With little success.... :(

My try from memory:

First of it requires a working Video4linux framework if you want to connect
webcams other than with a network interface (eg. the Axis stuff)

Then once you get to compile everything, tweaking and pulling with all the
auto-tools... I ended up fixing the ac* config-files for my/FBSD purposes.

After which you run into some shared memory stuff that is not really
compatible. But that is just hacking some of the startup scripts...

Then find out that the capture scripts put something different in the buffer
that other tools are reading from it.

And that's where I gave up, since Things are written using C++ and then
extracted in Perl (or the other way around). And there seems to be an
alignment problem with binary values.... Looked at it for a while and
decided that I should start earning some money again.

So my conclusion here is:
	Not for those faint of hart.
	And with plenty of time to spare.

--WjW