Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 12:12:57 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        Ashort@concentric.net, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD vs Linux

> I am as we speak working on these two critical issues.  Understand, that my
> time is limited as is that of all the volunteer staff.  The intent of my
> post was to get the ball rolling and gather ideas.

I understand, and I don't mean to come across like a big wet blanket
here or anything with my constant harping about tangibles, I'm just
trying to get people to stay focused on the realities of what it takes
to _really_ get publicity, and posting lengthy messages to this list
are simply (beyond a certain point) not the way to go about it.

I've sat here watching the Linux camp for close to 5 years now and
what I've determined is that it's almost NONE of the "high profile"
evangelists who are making the most difference there.  It's all the
folks whom I've never even heard of before, quiet unsung types who's
postings appear in public rarely if at all, diligently working away at
home on their little word processors to hit the major magazines with
feature articles or editorial pieces on Linux and the phenomenon of
free software (as seen through the eyes of a Linux devotee) in
general.  The editors of these magazines, who are as often as not
DESPERATE for material, naturally eat it up.

I'm sure that a large measure of the success of any Linux author
doesn't come from heavy peer support or a great body of knowledge
about the product (many, if not most, of Linux's print advocates have
probably never even looked at the Linux kernel sources).  It comes
from being willing to set aside a certain number of hours a day to
just write write write, even when it's the last thing one wishes to
do.  It comes from having the discipline to write an outline and then
doggedly fill it in despite the hassles of screaming children banging
on the study door and a dog throwing up pieces of frog in the hallway.
Writing is NOT an easy thing to do and if it were easier, I'd have a
lot more than a single mainstream magazine article under my own belt.
For most of us, writing is simply a pain in the butt! :-)

It also doesn't take lots of fancy statistics or even anything
particularly NEW to say in order to write a good article - far from
it.  Sometimes just writing about something interesting you did with
FreeBSD is enough and the article doesn't necessarily have to be about
FreeBSD itself - you can often evangelize more effectively through
focusing on something completely different and mentioning FreeBSD only
in passing.  People will generally respond better to this than yet
another puff-piece extolling the virtues of the OS itself and you'll
get the attention of people who share your definition of "interesting"
far more directly than you would have otherwise.  More to the point,
you can cover a lot more ground.  Write just about the OS and you've
got maybe 3 magazines to hit up, perhaps less.  Write about how the OS
can be used to create a home audio mixing station, on the other hand,
and you've got about 10 audio magazines and 2 or 3 do-it-yourself
publications to target. :-)

And on that note, I'm off to write my article about using FreeBSD and
a Toshiba Libretto to create a pocket web page demonstration platform.
Here's hoping that I manage to get it into something like "Yahoo
Life" or "Webmaster Magazine".

- Jordan