Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 2014 14:57:08 -0500
From:      "Martin G. McCormick" <martin@server1.shellworld.net>
Cc:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Has the Procedure for Regenerating A FreeBSD Installation Disk Changed?

Roland Smith writes:
> Which version of tar are you using? Mine is:
>
>     > tar --version
>     bsdtar 3.1.2 - libarchive 3.1.2

	I think we may be on to something. I am using

bsdtar 2.8.5 - libarchive 2.8.5

> >       I think I should try FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso
> > to see what happens. I really need to use 9.1 since this is a
> > replacement for a FreeBSD9.1 system that is failing,
>
> Why not just use 10.0 if it is a replacement? IIRC, there haven't been
> great
> incompatible library changes for several major releases (correct me if I'm
> wrong). E.g, currently I'm using the official TUG TeXLive binaries which
> were
> compiled for 7.2. They still work fine on 10.0.
>
> If you have old binaries that rely on old version of the system libraries
> you
> can always install one of the misc/compat ports.

	This is a slave domain name server and secondary DHCP
server for one of our remote campuses so it needs to be a close
match to the primary. When we upgrade one, we usually upgrade
the other at the same time. The DNS and DHCP documentation warns
about not mixing versions of operating systems.
	Chances are very good that nothing bad would happen but
when the fingers start to point after the phones start ringing,
it is good to be able to honestly say that both systems are
essentially the same.
	Thanks for the help.

Martin McCormick