Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 19:26:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marco Radzinschi <marco@radzinschi.com>
To:        Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HDD > 8.4 GB

For a non-Unix operating system, any ISA IDE controller dated after 1994
should allow you to do this. I have a cheap one from 1997 which I am sure
supports this, but FreeBSD will not recognize it.

If you are going to install *BSD or Linux on that 486, then you don't
need a new controller.  All you have to do is either not make the big disk
the boot drive, or make sure the root partition is in the first 8.4 GB.

I can't imagine anyone needing a larger boot partition, unless one is
going to make one large root partition.  Once the BIOS boots *BSD or
Linux, the operating system will no longer use the BIOS, and will be able
to use the entire disk.

The only caveat is that you will manually have to tell the OS the disk
drive geometry, so that it does not use what the BIOS gives it, which will
obviously be wrong.

Marco Radzinschi

E-Mail: marco@radzinschi.com
AOL IM: CrackedBoy