Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 18:53:53 +0930
From:      Phil Kernick <Phil@Kernick.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD Install/boot problems

I am trying to install FreeBSD on an IBM Thinkpad iSeries model 1161-43M.
The CD starts booting but gets to the USB drivers and then hangs after the
messages:

ohci0: <AcerLabs M5237 (Aladdin-V) USB controller> mem ... irq ...
usb0: OHCI version 1.0, legacy support
usb0: SMM does not responf, resetting

The notebook uses a USB floppy and I have no options in the bios to
disable USB.

1. Is there a boot kernel with USB support totally removed that I might
boot from CD?
2. Can I disable USB/ohci interactively from the standard boot?
3. Is there a fix for this driver so that it doesn't hang?

I have tried FreeBSD 4.5, & 5.0. Interestingly, RedHat Linux 7.2 also
uses the ohci driver and hangs in the same fashion.

Thanks,
Phil.

--
    _-_|\   Phil Kernick                      E-Mail: Phil@Kernick.org
   /     \  ROTFL Enterprises                 Mobile:  041 61 ROTFL